2/3 cup sugar
2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. powdered sugar
Optional whipped cream & chocolate curls
- Divide pastry sheet in half. Save one half for another use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining half into an 8″ circle. Transfer to a 7″ pie plate, fluting edges.
- Layer pie shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake at 450° for 4 minutes. Bake 2 minutes longer without the foil or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and eggs until well blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Combine with cooled chocolate mixture; beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until light.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it thickens. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into crust. Chill for at least 6 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate.
For more recipes and behind the scene photos of Beneath a Navajo Moon, visit http://www.pinterest.com/lisacoxcarter/beneath-a-navajo-moon/.