Yellow Cake Mix—that uses cooking oil
3 egg whites
dash of salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup coconut milk
Frozen coconut flakes, thawed
1. Follow directions on cake mix box. Bake in 2 (9-inch) pans.
2. Mix all icing ingredients, except for vanilla, in top of a double boiler.
3. Cook icing and beat with handheld mixer over boiling water approximately 7 minutes until icing holds its shape.
4. Remove from stove. Mix vanilla into icing with mixer.
5. Sprinkle or pour coconut milk on bottom cake layer to make it moist—about 1/4 cup.
6. Spread 1/3 of icing on layer and top with thawed coconut to cover.
7. Add 2nd layer of cake, coconut milk, icing and coconut flakes.
8. Use remaining third of icing to ice outside of cake.
For more recipes and photos from Vines of Entanglement, visit http://www.pinterest.com/lisacoxcarter/vines-of-entanglement/.