- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup salsa (I use my grocery store brand.)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Taco shells or flour tortillas, warmed (My family prepares soft tacos.)
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa, sour cream
2. Add chili powder, cumin, and salt to skillet. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water, and salsa. Mash beans in skillet with fork, leaving some beans whole. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
3. Top with cheese and cilantro. Cover, turn off heat, and let stand 5 minutes until cheese melts. Serve with taco shells or tortillas and toppings.