Foolproof Pie Crust—Ingredients:
•4 cups all-purpose flour
•1 3/4 cups vegetable shortening
•1 Tbsp sugar
•2 tsp salt
•1 Tbsp vinegar
•1/2 cup water
1. With a fork, mix first 4 ingredients. In a separate dish, beat remaining ingredients. Combine the 2 mixtures, stirring with a fork till all ingredients are moistened.
2. Mold dough into a ball. Chill at least 15 minutes before rolling into desired shape. Dough can be left in the refrigerator up to 3 days or frozen until ready to use. Divide into 4 dough balls.
3. Roll out one ball for crust of pecan pie.
•1/2 cup melted butter
•1 cup sugar
•1 cup light corn syrup
•4 eggs, beaten
•1 tsp vanilla extract
•1/4 tsp salt
•9-inch unbaked pastry shell
•1 cup pecan halves
1. Spray medium-sized cooking pot with cooking spray. Combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup in pot.
2. Cook on low heat; be sure sugar dissolves. Stir constantly.
3. Cool mixture slightly. Add eggs, vanilla, and salt. Mix well.
4. Pour into pie shell and top with pecan halves. Bake 325 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
5. Serve warm or cold. Many Southerners top with whipped cream or ice cream.
Yield: 1 pie
For more recipes and behind-the-scene photos from Beneath a Navajo Moon, visit http://www.pinterest.com/lisacoxcarter/beneath-a-navajo-moon/.