2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
Oil for frying
1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in water, milk, and oil with a fork until a ball forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 2-3 minutes. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Divide into four portions; roll each into a 6-1/2″ circles.
- In a small frying pan or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry circles, one at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion; drain. Stir in the salt, garlic powder and pepper. In a large saucepan, combine the soup, broth, chilies and onion powder; cook until heated through.
- Split one side of each sopapilla; fill with 1/2 cup of meat mixture. Top with cheese. Serve with heated sauce.
For more recipes and behind-the-scene photos from Under a Turquoise Sky, visit http://www.pinterest.com/lisacoxcarter/under-a-turquoise-sky/.